Thursday, June 4, 2009

New Beginnings

I’ve been trying to get this thing started again for a while, but let’s face it: writing is a largely thankless job. I simply haven’t been motivated to write in a while, besides the fact that writing is one of the few things I’m good at and I should be trying to write as much as I can. The problem is, I think too much.
Little things were major stumbling blocks. Take tone, for example. I thought for hours about whether or not I should have a sarcastic, cynical tone of voice as I do when on the internet or dealing with 12-year-olds, or if I should have a more friendly tone. I just decided not to decide at all; Each post will have whatever tone of voice I have at the time of writing. I suppose most of them will be in the rather normal tone this one is in.
Then, I wasn’t sure what to say. Would people find my day-to-day routine interesting? I doubt it. Can I think of enough amusing stories and other works of fiction to fill a blog? Again, probably not. But I must write to get better, and writing to the Great Void of the Internet seems like a better idea than writing to someone specific. That way I don’t have to tailor my writing to anyone and can purely write. How I can make it interesting, I don’t know. It will be a struggle to simultaneously write how I feel to no one in specific and yet make my writing worth reading to everyone.
So yes, I do plan on writing more in here. But don’t expect much. I am nothing if not lazy and fickle.

And for the love of god, if you feel like commenting, please do. Knowing someone wades through this muck is a huge self-esteem boost. I really appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment